"We do plan on bringing him back next year," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said. "Today we want him back. Let's see how this process goes."
Rodriguez had surgery on Tuesday to repair a torn ligament in his thumb that the Mets said he sustained when he allegedly struck the grandfather of his children last week at Citi Field. Rodriguez isn't expected to pitch again this season.
Rodriguez will not be paid or accrue Major League service time while on the disqualified list.
The move allows the Mets to void Rodriguez's contract through the rest of the season. Additionally, there is no timetable for how long Rodriguez will remain on the list. Rodriguez has been notified of the decision and can contest the move. The Players Association reportedly plans to file a grievance.
"The Mets' actions are without basis and I expect the union will file a challenge right away," union chief Michael Weiner wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
Minaya said he saw no signs of anger issues in Rodriguez's past before signing him. Minaya said he hopes to bring Rodriguez back next season if he completes his required rehabilitation, which includes recovery from the injury and anger-management classes.
Owner Jeff Wilpon added he'd like to see Rodriguez return, but added that he wanted to see the season play out.
"I think it's hypothetical," Wilpon said. "What if one of the guys steps up the last 45 games and shows he can take the job? There's a lot of circumstances that come into that. That will be up to the GM to decide."
Reliever Ryota Igarashi replaced Rodriguez on the 25-man roster. He was in uniform for Tuesday's game against the Astros.
Steve Gartner is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.