As a complement to the Midsummer celebration of Baseball and the Cincinnati Reds, the events and initiatives seek to impact the lives of underserved and special needs youth, and place a focus on improving the health and well-being of local citizens.
The effort includes renovation projects throughout Greater Cincinnati and "Reds Country," including nine youth baseball and softball fields, an activity room at a new Boys & Girls Club, a service center for local veterans and an upgraded waiting room at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. A variety of Reds legends will participate in revealing the different All-Star community projects. Bank of America, Church & Dwight and Scotts are among the MLB sponsors supporting various elements of this All-Star community effort. In some cases, the All-Star Community Legacy donation is going toward larger community projects that are also funded by local organizations, including, but not limited to, Cincinnati Public Schools, Covington Independent Public Schools, Cincinnati Recreation Commission and Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati.
Below is a brief, chronological schedule of MLB All-Star Week Community Activities:
Wednesday, July 8th
- 10:30 a.m. - Bank of America All-Star Youth Baseball Clinic with Boys & Girls Clubs at the P&G Cincinnati MLB Urban Youth Academy (Cincinnati, OH)
- 3:00 p.m. - MLB Cincinnati Reds Howell All-Star Field (Dayton, OH)
Thursday, July 9th
- 12:00 p.m. - Queensgate All-Star Field Dedication with The Scotts Company (Cincinnati, OH)
- 3:00 p.m. - P&G Cincinnati Zoo & Reds Community Fund Community Makeover: Seven Hills Neighborhood Houses, P&G All-Star Park and Dyer All-Star Fields (Cincinnati, OH)
Friday, July 10th
- 11:00 a.m. - Ron Oester Field at Withrow All-Star Complex (Cincinnati, OH)
- 3:30 p.m. - Miracle League Game (Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, OH)
- 6:30 p.m. - Don Johnson All-Star Field Dedication at the P&G Cincinnati MLB Urban Youth Academy (Cincinnati, OH)
- Additionally, this event will serve as the Opening Ceremonies of the Jr. RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) Classic
Saturday, July 11th
- 9:00 a.m. - The Color Run MLB All-Star 5K presented by Nike (Downtown Cincinnati, OH)
- 9:00 a.m. - TeamSmile Dental Screening Event, supported by Church & Dwight Co., Inc., maker of Arm & Hammer Dental Care products (U.S. Bank Boys & Girls Club)
- 12:30 p.m. - Jr. RBI Classic Community Service Event/The Giving Fields (Melbourne, Kentucky)
- 2:00 p.m. - TVCA Veteran In-Processing (VIP) and Welcome Center (CityLink Center, Cincinnati, OH)
- 5:30 p.m. - Make-A-Wish Welcome Reception (Hilton Netherland, Cincinnati, OH)
Sunday, July 12th
- 2:00 p.m. - Cincinnati Children's Hospital Waiting Room Unveil/Starlight Fun Center Donation (Cincinnati, OH)
Monday, July 13th
- 10:00 a.m. - MLB Cincinnati Meinken All-Star Field (Covington, KY)
Tuesday, July 14th
- 10:00 a.m. - Boys & Girls Club Activity Room Dedication, Sheakley Boys & Girls Club (Cincinnati, OH)
- Breaking Barriers Grand Prize Winner: Malcolm Venable, a 4th grader from New Orleans and a member of the New Orleans MLB Urban Youth Academy, will be accompanied by Sharon Robinson (daughter of Jackie Robinson; MLB Educational Programming Consultant) as an honored guest prior to the Gillette Home Run Derby presented by Head & Shoulders. Malcolm is one of two grand prize winners of the 2015 Breaking Barriers: In Sports, In Life essay contest after writing about his determination and courage to overcome being bullied at school due to stuttering. He was selected among more than 16,000 contestants. Church & Dwight, maker of Arm & Hammer and OxiClean products and an official sponsor of Major League Baseball, is a supporter of the Breaking Barriers program, contributing $150,000 annually through 2016.
- Boys & Girls Club Youth of the Year: The baseball that will begin the 86th MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 14, will be delivered by the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Youth of the Year (YOY), Maryah Sullivan from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida.
- Stand Up To Cancer: During Gatorade All-Star Workout Day and the Gillette Home Run Derby presented by Head & Shoulders, MLB and MasterCard will join ESPN in a live moment to stand together with Stand Up to Cancer in the fight against cancer.
MLB All-Star Week at Great American Ball Park includes the 86th MLB All-Star Game on FOX (Tuesday, July 14th), Gatorade All-Star Workout Day (Monday, July 13th) featuring the Gillette Home Run Derby presented by Head & Shoulders on ESPN, All-Star Sunday (July 12th) including the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game on MLB Network and the All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game on ESPN, and T-Mobile All-Star FanFest at the Duke Energy Convention Center (July 10th-14th). The All-Star Game also will be televised in Canada by Rogers Sportsnet and RDS; and worldwide by partners in more than 160 countries. ESPN Radio and ESPN Radio Deportes will provide exclusive national radio coverage of the All-Star Game. MLB Network, MLB.com and Sirius XM also will provide comprehensive All-Star Week coverage. For more MLB All-Star Week information, please visit AllStarGame.com, the All-Star Game Twitter account (@AllStarGame) and All-Star Game Facebook account (Facebook.com/MLBAllStarGame).
About the 2015 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
The 86th Major League Baseball All-Star Game will be played on Tuesday, July 14th at Great American Ball Park (GABP) in Cincinnati and will feature the best of the American League taking on the top players of the National League. Building up to the excitement of the All-Star Game, Major League Baseball will conduct a wide variety of special events and charitable activities for fans both inside and outside of GABP. At the ballpark, the events will include All-Star Sunday on July 12th featuring the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game and the All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game, and Gatorade All-Star Workout Day on Monday, July 13th featuring the Gillette Home Run Derby presented by Head & Shoulders on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Radio. Outside of the ballpark, fans will have an opportunity to experience All-Star Summer through a variety of special events including T-Mobile All-Star FanFest, the five-day interactive fan festival; and the MLB All-Star Red Carpet Show presented by Chevrolet, a free parade of All-Star players. The Midsummer Classic will be televised nationally on FOX, broadcast on ESPN Radio and will be shown around the world by Major League Baseball International. For more information about 2015 All-Star Summer, visit AllStarGame.com.
Contact: Matt Bourne or Steve Arocho, Major League Baseball, (212) 931-7878, @MLB_PR
Michael Anderson, Cincinnati Reds, (513) 765-7333, MAnderson@reds.com