He led the major leagues in strikeouts and strikeouts per 9.0 IP (15.23) in June and ranked among the AL leaders in opponents on-base percentage (1st, .219), innings (T1st), opponents average (3rd, .176), strikeout-to-walk ratio (4th, 9.38) and ERA (5th).
Some other noteworthy accomplishments by Sale:
- His 75 strikeouts broke Juan Pizarro's franchise monthly record of 61 set in August 1961 and were the most in the major leagues since Nolan Ryan set the modern-day record of 87 with California in June 1977.
- Sale, Sandy Koufax (76 in May 1965), Sam McDowell (76 in May 1968) and Ryan (five different months) are the only pitchers in the last 100 years to record 75-plus strikeouts in a single month (STATS LLC).
- His average of 15.23 strikeouts per 9.0 IP this June is the third-highest monthly total in major-league history behind Hall-of-Famer Randy Johnson (15.79 in July 2001) and Kerry Wood (15.43 in May 1998).
- Has joined Hall-of-Famer Pedro Martinez as the only pitchers in major-league history to strike out 10 or more batters in eight consecutive starts. He also fanned 12-plus batters in five straight starts from May 28-June 19, joining Martinez and Johnson as the only pitchers in history to accomplish that feat.
- Leads the majors with 141 strikeouts, the second-highest total in White Sox history before the All-Star Break, one behind Wilbur Wood's mark of 142 set in 1973.
- Is on pace to record a franchise-record 301 strikeouts, which would be the highest total in the major leagues since teammates Randy Johnson (334) and Curt Schilling (316) with Arizona in 2002.
- His average of 12.28 strikeouts per 9.0 IP would be the highest total for a starting pitcher in the majors since Johnson averaged 13.41 in 2001.
- Sale, who is attempting to join LHP Billy Pierce (1955-59) as the only pitchers in Sox history to make at least four straight All-Star Teams, has gone 4-3 with a 1.78 ERA (15 ER/76.0 IP) and 115 strikeouts over his last 10 starts.
- His 766 strikeouts through his first 100 career starts are the highest total in major-league history, according to Elias.
- Has struck out 10 or more batters 27 times in 100 career starts, 12 or more 16 times and has recorded six games with 10-plus strikeouts and no walks.