Notes: Moses surprisingly calls it quits

Notes: Moses surprisingly calls it quits

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In a surprise on the first day of Spring Training, the Reds announced Thursday that first base coach John Moses has retired.

Moses told the team he was tired of being away from his family most of the year.

"It caught me completely off guard," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "He's been in baseball a long time. He told me he was on his way to the airport and just had a change of heart with what he was doing. He felt like he had to do what's best for his family."

A search for Moses' replacement has begun, with the club assembling a list of candidates to interview. The plan is to look within first before taking a look outside the organization.

One of those candidates could be former Reds player and coach Ken Griffey Sr. Sources told that Griffey Sr. has already expressed his interest in joining Narron's coaching staff.

Griffey Sr., the father of Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. and a team consultant for the Reds, was named first base coach for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic last month.

Moses was about to enter his second year in the Reds organization. He was hired in January 2005 to be the Minor League outfield/base running coordinator.

When Narron was promoted to interim manager last June, Moses was named bench coach. He was then shifted to first base coaching duties this winter when Bucky Dent was hired as the new bench coach.

Moses previously spent four seasons as the Mariners' first base coach.

Hudson stays: Designated for assignment and taken off the 40-man roster last week to make room for waiver claim Michael Gosling, pitcher Luke Hudson signed a one-year contract Thursday. It was considered a procedural move since Hudson was then sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. The right-hander is in camp as a non-roster player.

Hudson was 6-9 with a 6.38 ERA in 16 starts and three relief appearances last season. He missed much of the first half on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.

Krivsky plans: On the job for just over a week, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky stopped into the Reds clubhouse to introduce himself to several of the players in camp.

Krivsky was also scurrying to file paperwork with the U.S. government to get a passport expedited for travel to the Dominican Republic next week. He plans to visit and tour the organization's Latin American academy outside of Santo Domingo, along with new owner Bob Castellini and player development director Johnny Almaraz.

"We want to make sure they feel a part of this thing, which they are," Krivsky said. "We're looking forward to it."

Krivsky, Castellini and Almaraz are scheduled to leave Feb. 24. In the short time he's been acquainted with him, Narron had praise for the new GM.

"He's very knowledgeable and he's got a lot of energy," Narron said. "He's definitely going to try and make things happen."

Seen and heard: Catcher Javier Valentin was the only player not to arrive Thursday for the mandatory pitchers and catchers report date. Valentin was excused to be with his wife, who is expecting to deliver a baby any day, at their home in Manati, Puerto Rico.

Sarasota resident and ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale paid a visit to Reds camp Thursday. His daughter and two grandchildren accompanied him to the facility. Vitale has been a regular visitor over the years.

Coming up: There are no scheduled workouts for Friday as Reds pitchers and catchers are slated to undergo their physicals. Some players will likely be working out on their own.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.