D-backs select 30 players in third round of 2015 First-Year Player Draft
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) selected 30 additional players in Rounds 11-40 of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft, as announced by D-backs Director, Scouting Deric Ladnier. The D-backs selected 36 of their 40 selections from the collegiate ranks. This year's draft class is comprised of: 5 catchers, 6 infielders, 12 outfielders, 12 right-handed pitchers and 5 left-handed pitchers.
In addition, Arizona State University outfielder Jake Peevyhouse was selected with the inaugural "Cory Hahn 34th Pick." Peevyhouse hit .287 (51-for-178) 7 doubles, 3 triples, 2 homers and 23 RBI in 57 games for the Sun Devils. The selection will take place each year and is named after Hahn, who currently works in the D-backs' scouting department. Hahn wore No. 34 for ASU and was selected with the 34th pick in the 2013 draft.
Other D-backs selections of note from rounds 11-40:
- INF Austin Byler (11th round, 316th overall), former teammate of D-backs' 2013 first-round selection Braden Shipley at Nevada, hit .328 (65-for-198) with 18 doubles, 14 homers, 52 RBI and 69 runs scored. He was named to the midseason watch list for the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, and a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy. Byler was named to the 2011 All-Arizona Team at Sunrise Mountain High baseball team in Peoria, Ariz.
- RHP Wesley Rodriguez (12th round, 346th overall), who was rated by Baseball America as the No. 77 Prospect and MLB.com as the No. 100 Prospect in the draft, posted a 0.21 ERA (1 ER in 43.2 IP) with 92 strikeouts. He is a graduate of George Washington High School (NY), the same school as former Major Leaguer, Manny Ramirez.
- C Luke Lowery (14th Round, 406th overall) was named a First-Team All-American Conference selection at East Carolina University after batting .311 (64-for-206) with 10 doubles, 12 home runs and 49 RBI in 57 games.
- RHP Justin Donatella (15th Round, 436th overall) was the National College Baseball Writers Association Division-II Pitcher of the Year after going 9-3 with a 1.74 ERA (17 ER in 88.0 IP) and 111 strikeouts in 14 starts for UC Santa Diego.
- OF Zach Hoffpauir (22nd round, 646th overall) was named an All-Pac 12 honorable mention for the second straight season (2014-15). He played strong safety for the Cardinal football from 2012-14. Hoffpauir is a native of Glendale, Ariz., and graduated from Centennial High School in Peoria.
- OF Max Brown (37th round, 1,096th overall) played for the New Zealand National Team during the World Baseball Classic Qualifier in 2012 and Under-21 World Cup in 2014.
- RHP Tucker Ward (40th round, 1,186th overall) is the son of D-backs hitting coach Turner Ward.
Other selections of note from this year's draft:
- INF Tyler Nevin (Rockies, Competitive Balance Round A) is the son of D-backs Triple-A Reno manager Phil Nevin.
- OF Cam Gibson (Tigers, 5th round, 160th overall) is the son of former D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
- INF Mitch Piatnik (Reds, 8th round, 235th overall) is the son of D-backs special assistant to the General Manager and Major League scout Mike Piatnik.
- INF Brantley Bell (Reds, 11th round, 325th overall) is the son of former D-backs infielder Jay Bell.
- INF Tanner Donnels (Tigers, 21st round, 640th overall) is the son of former D-backs infielder Chris Donnels.