D-backs select eight players in second round of Draft
The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) selected 8 additional players in Rounds 3-10 of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft, as announced by D-backs Director, Scouting Deric Ladnier. The D-backs have made 10 straight selections from the collegiate ranks including: 1 catcher, 2 infielders, 1 outfielder, 5 right-handed pitchers and 1 left-handed pitcher.
Yesterday, the D-backs selected Vanderbilt University shortstop Dansby Swanson with the first-overall pick in the draft, along with Texas Christian University left-handed pitcher Alex Young in the second round (43rd overall).
Today's selections include:
- RHP Taylor Clarke (Third Round, 76th overall) was named a Louisville Slugger First-Team All-American after going 13-1 with a 1.73 ERA (22 ER in 114.1 IP) and 143 strikeouts in 17 games (18 starts) for the College of Charleston. Clarke ranked among all NCAA Division-I pitchers in wins (T-1st) and strikeouts (3rd), and set a single-game school record after striking out 18 batters in a game on March 7 vs. Radford University.
- RHP Breckin Williams (Fourth Round, 106th overall) earned Second-Team All-SEC honors after going 4-4 with a 1.98 ERA (8 ER in 36.1 IP) and 39 strikeouts in 25 relief outings for the University of Missouri. His 13 saves this season set a program record.
- RHP Ryan Burr (Fifth Round, 136th overall) earned All-Pac 12 accolades in 3 seasons (2013-15) with Arizona State University, setting the school record with 38 saves. He was 8-2 with a 2.91 ERA (15 ER in 46.1 IP) in 33 games in 2015.
- RHP Tyler Mark (Sixth Round, 166th overall) went 5-1 with a 1.24 ERA (7 ER in 51.0 IP) in 38 relief appearances for Concordia University-Irvine. He set the NAIA record with 24 saves in a single season in 2015.
- C Francis Christy (Seventh Round, 196th overall), the Rawlings National Community College co-Player of the Year, hit .326 (56-for-172) with 12 doubles, 11 home runs and 52 RBI in 45 games for Palomar College.
- INF Kal Simmons (Eighth Round, 226th overall) garnered his third straight All-Atlantic Sun Conference selection (2013-15) after hitting 10 homers and 35 RBI in 55 games for Kennesaw State University. He was named a Louisville Slugger First-Team Freshman All-American in 2013.
- RHP Pierce Romero (Ninth Round, 256th overall) went 2-0 with a 5.50 ERA (11 ER in 18.0 IP) and 17 strikeouts in 11 games for Santa Barbara City College. He is committed to pitch at the University of Nebraska in 2016.
- OF Joey Armstrong (10th Round, 286th overall) hit .277 (59-for-213) with 9 doubles, 2 homers, 26 RBI, 8 stolen bases and 34 runs scored in 54 games for the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. He was named a Mountain West Preseason All-American after hitting .302 (62-for-205) with 8 doubles, 3 triples, 4 homers and 7 stolen bases in 51 games in 2014.
D-backs Draft Picks