'Salute to Veterans' to precede today's game
On Saturday, June 6, 2015, at 2:45 p.m., the Phillies will honor the nation's heroes with a "Salute to Veterans" before Saturday's 3:05 p.m. game against the San Francisco Giants. The special tribute will take part on the 71st anniversary of D-Day, as well as in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.
As part of the ceremony, Phillies Chairman David Montgomery, Phillies Wall of Famer and Vietnam Veteran Garry Maddox, and veterans' advocate/sportswriter Jerry Jonas will unveil and dedicate the Phillies POW-MIA National Chair of Honor, which will serve as a permanent reminder of the nearly 90,000 Americans who have gone missing or become prisoners of war while serving their country. The National Chair of Honor will permanently be located in Section 110, Row 40. Other highlights include:
- Veterans from conflicts since World War II to the current day will be introduced on the field.
- Vietnam veterans will carry the 50 state flags in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.
- There will also be an All-Service color guard, and representatives from the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center PALS Program will participate in the salute.
- The first ball will be thrown by a representative from Toyota's Hiring Our Heroes program: Technical Sergeant Tom Brown, 88th Aerial Port Squadron/ 514th Air Mobility Wing, who has been with the United States Air Force Reserve for 10 years and is still serving. He has also made three tours overseas in Iraq, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.
- America the Beautiful, the National Anthem and God Bless America will be performed by TSgt Talani Quintello of the United States Air Force.
- The Hometown Heroes Base Change presented by Rothman Institute will be made by Frank Fisher, a nurse who served in Afghanistan on the Golden Hour Offset Surgical Team, and who also has been named Firefighter of the Year by the American Legion Post 521.
- The first 1,000 fans that purchase a Military Discount Date Theme Night Ticket for June 6 will receive a coupon for an exclusive Phillies Challenge Coin. All military personnel, veterans and their guests can receive a $4 discount off the regular price of tickets in select locations through this Theme Night Ticket only.