HOUSTON, TX - In light of the recent floods that struck Houston earlier this week, the Astros and the Astros Foundation are hosting a food drive supporting the Houston Food Bank during the upcoming homestand.
Fans can participate by bringing canned goods or other non-perishable food items with them to the games, which will be collected at the entrance gates, starting two hours prior to game time until the end of the 1st inning. Monetary donations will also be accepted.
The Astros Foundation will also host a raffle during both series with great prizes like tickets to Picnic in the Park, game used and autographed memorabilia. Raffle tickets will be available for $5 each or five tickets for $20 at collection points. Mystery Grab Bags will also be available on Friday, May 29 and Saturday, May 30 for a $25 donation at the Astros Community Clubhouse located near section 108/109 on the main concourse. All proceeds benefit the Houston Food Bank.
This weekend's games between the Astros and the Chicago White Sox are currently set to be played as scheduled.
The Astros and the Astros Foundation thank our fans in advance for their generous support.
The following is a list of items most needed by the programs served by the Houston Food Bank.
• Protein items
• Canned tuna or chicken, packed in water
• Cleaning supplies
• Canned stews and pasta/meat, easy on salt and fat
• Peanut butter
• Packages of dry beans
• Canned fruits in light syrup, natural applesauce
• 100% juice cans or boxes
• Canned vegetables, tomatoes, tomato sauce
• Soups with meat and/or beans, meal-in-a-can, easy on salt and fat
• Cereals and cereal bars, easy on sugar and fat
• Pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, noodles
For the safety of those they serve, the Houston Food Bank is unable to accept:
• Open packages
• Homemade food items
• Perishable foods
• Baby food
• Items with "expired" dates
Collection and raffle locations for Houston Astros flood relief efforts will take place at the following five exterior locations at Minute Maid Park.
• Outside the Right Field Gate, near Section 130, exterior Hamilton & Preston
• Outside the South Home Plate, near Section 116, exterior Texas and Avenida De Las Americas
• Outside the Clock Tower, behind Home Plate, exterior Texas & Hamilton
• Outside the Atrium, adjacent to Union Station, exterior Texas between Crawford & Jackson
• Outside the Centerfield Gate, far end of Home Run Alley, exterior Crawford & Preston