Seven players have received discipline for their roles in the on-field incident in the bottom of the seventh inning of Thursday's game between the Kansas City Royals and the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, Major League Baseball announced today. Joe Garagiola, Jr., MLB's Senior Vice President of Standards & On-Field Operations, made the announcement.
The following players have been disciplined for their actions leading up to and/or during the incident:
· Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura has received a seven-game suspension;
· Royals pitcher Edinson Volquez has received a five-game suspension;
· Royals outfielder Lorenzo Cain has received a two-game suspension;
· Royals pitcher Kelvin Herrera has received a two-game suspension;
· White Sox pitcher Chris Sale has received a five-game suspension;
· White Sox pitcher Jeff Samardzija has received a five-game suspension.
All six players also received an undisclosed fine in addition to a suspension. In addition, White Sox catcher Tyler Flowers has received an undisclosed fine.
Unless appealed, all suspensions are scheduled to be effective on Sunday, when the Clubs are to continue their series in Chicago. If any player elects to appeal, then his suspension will be held in abeyance until the process is complete.