"She said she's not going to miss this moment," Muno said.
Muno, 26, was off to a slow start at Triple-A, batting .235 with a .599 OPS over his first six games. But he spent most of his time there at third base, giving the Mets another option with David Wright on the disabled list.
A switch-hitter, Muno should take some time away from right-handed infielder Eric Campbell, who will start at third until Wright returns. The Mets are not scheduled to face another left-handed starting pitcher until at least Wednesday, giving Muno reasonable potential for playing time; he slugged 84 points higher against right-handed pitchers than lefties last season.
"I'm going to get him a little playing time, and hopefully it helps us deep in a game sometime if we need somebody," manager Terry Collins said.
When he arrived at Citi Field on Friday, Muno became the first of general manager Sandy Alderson's Draft picks to reach the Majors with the organization. An eighth-round pick in 2011, Muno broke out last year by hitting 14 home runs in 117 games at Las Vegas. He almost made the Mets this spring, batting .327 in 27 games, but he lost that opportunity when second baseman Daniel Murphy managed to avoid the DL.
For Anne Muno, at least, the callup was worth the wait. She learned the news shortly after her son did on Thursday evening, when Las Vegas manager Wally Backman pulled him out of a game in Sacramento -- joking at first that he did so because Muno did not hustle to first base on a routine out. Although Anne is taking blood thinners in an attempt to eliminate a clot from the back of the brain and avoid surgery, she and Muno's father flew from Los Angeles to be present for his debut.
"I just had to work hard when I went down there, and knew I was probably going to get a chance at some time," Muno said. "I pretty much just worked hard to get back."
Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo and Facebook. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.