The Seattle Mariners open the 2015 season on Monday, April 6, with a 1:10pm first pitch against the Los Angeles Angels. This is the first time since 2008 that the Mariners have opened the season at home with a day game.
All gates will open at 10:40am, and fans are encouraged to arrive early and be prepared for enhanced screening procedures at all gates. Again this season, the Mariners will use walk-through metal detectors. Fans should remove car keys and cell phones from their pockets before arriving at the gate to speed up the process. All bags will be subject to inspection, including women's purses.
Festivities for Opening Day, presented by your Northwest Ford Stores, start at 10:40am when the gates of Safeco Field open to the general public with a special countdown at the Home Plate Gate with Rick Rizzs, Aaron Goldsmith and the Mariner Moose. All fans will receive a 2015 Mariners magnetic schedule, courtesy of Safeco Insurance. The pre-game ceremony will start at approximately 12:30pm. mariners.com will stream the pre-game live, and ROOT SPORTS will air a live one-hour pregame program beginning at 12pm.
Here are some of the highlights of the pregame ceremony:
- The traditional ceremonial first run around the bases by a Make-A-Wish® child will feature 12-year old Jake Catterall of Tacoma, who is living with intractable epilepsy, a life-threatening medical condition. Jake will be the first person to "touch them all" on Opening Day.
- National Anthem by Navy Petty Officer First Class, Retired, Generald Wilson.
- Color Guard by I Corps Command, Joint Base Lewis McChord.
- Remembrance and moment of silence for Suzanne Stork, wife of Mariners owner Carl Stork, long-time Mariners Scout Bill Kearns, and pitching prospect Victor Sanchez.
- Gold Glove presentation to third baseman Kyle Seager.
- Ceremonial first pitch by former Mariners second baseman Joey Cora.
With Felix Hernandez scheduled to make his 8th Opening Day start, the King's Court will be in session. Fans seated in Sections 148-150 will receive King's Court T-shirts and K-Cloths. Felix is 5-0 on Opening Days with a 1.52 ERA. That ranks 12th on the All-Time list of Most Opening Day Wins.
Opening Series Highlights
Tickets for the other two games in the Opening Homestand, presented by your Northwest Ford Stores, are still available. The first 10,000 fans through the gates for the April 7th and April 8th games against the Los Angeles Angels will receive a Mariners Calendar, courtesy of BASF. Tuesday is also BECU Family Night with special prices for select View Level seats, and Wednesday is Safeco Insurance Grand Slam Family Night with one low price for a ticket, hot dog and Pepsi. All members of the military receive 10% off select Main, Terrace Club and View Level seats for both games. A full list of 2015 Mariners ticket specials is available at mariners.com/specials.