Tillman, Orioles have not talked contract extension

Tillman, Orioles have not talked contract extension

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Orioles starter Chris Tillman said after Thursday's start, a 6-4 loss to the Tigers, that there's been nothing new in the past few months regarding a contract extension with Baltimore.

"I'm always open to it," Tillman said. "I think I'm in the same position as I was [in] when we talked last time [in January]. I'm letting [my agent] do all the work. I hear about, read about it. But I told him not to come to me unless we've got something for sure."

Tillman would not be a free agent until after the 2017 season and is making $4.315 million with the O's this season.

While there hasn't been much progress between the two sides, a report earlier in the week saying that the two sides have begun extension negotiations had teammates asking Tillman. 

"From what people are talking about, yeah. I get asked about it in the clubhouse all the time," he said. "I try to stay away from that, and get ready for the season." 

As for extension talks during the season, Tillman said he'd rather not. "I've been told we're not going to continue that into the season," he said. "We've got two weeks [left] for the most part."

Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.