Conger expected to start for Astros on Saturday

Backup catcher held out of bullpen sessions in recovery from sore left wrist

Conger expected to start for Astros on Saturday

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Astros backup catcher Hank Conger is set to get the start Saturday after he was held out of some bullpen sessions in recent days as he recovers from what manager A.J. Hinch described as a sore left wrist.

"He hasn't been feeling particularly well," Hinch said. "I think we're going to get him into a game this weekend. He's not injured, but we're ... delaying this spring until most likely this weekend."

Conger said keeping him out of action for a day was precautionary, and he took batting practice prior to Thursday's game.

"I just kind of slept on it wrong or something," Conger said. "I caught bullpens yesterday, so I should be ready to go. I didn't want to try to play through and have something blown up the whole Spring Training."

Conger, 27, was acquired by the Astros in November from the Angels in exchange for catcher Carlos Perez and right-hander Nick Tropeano. A switch-hitter, Conger is entering his sixth Major League season and caught 223 games with the Angels.

Last year was Conger's second full season in the Major Leagues, and he had career highs in starts (70), plate appearances (260), runs (24), RBIs and walks (22). He hit .221 with four homers and 25 RBIs with a .293 on-base percentage.

Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog, Tag's Lines. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.