The Angels used their first six picks in this year's draft on prep stars. They took right-hander Trevor Bell from Crescenta Valley High (Calif.) with their top choice, a supplemental pick as compensation for losing free agent Troy Percival. A two-way threat, the Angels project Bell as a pitcher and are impressed with his mound presence as well as a good fastball and sharp curve.
Two pleasant surprises from Day 1 for the Angels were shortstop Ryan Mount out of Rueben S. Ayala High School in Chino, Calif., and right-handed pitcher Sean O'Sullivan from Valhalla High School in El Cajon, Calif. Both players worked out with the Angels on their scout team and Bane said that removed any concern about them being not as far along in their development.
"The high school player is a little riskier, but with our scout team we've had a lot of good looks at them," Bane said. "We're as familiar with them as some teams are with college players."
Bane also believes there is greater and possibly undue pressure on prep stars to showcase their talent. Where college players have the NCAA tournament where they can be compared with the competition, high schoolers often must show up at high level tournaments like the Area Code Games to get noticed
"If these kids don't show up to every big event, (some teams) put them out of their mind," Bane said. "We don't mind."
Bane's look at the Angels' 2005 draft picks:
37. Trevor Bell, RHP, Crescenta Valley HS (La Crescenta, Calif.):
Good all-weather pitcher who can handle the pressure. Mid 90s fastball, Major League curve, good mound presence.
58. Ryan Mount, SS, Ayala HS (Chino, Calif.):
Can get around on 93 mph fastball; hit eight balls out of Angel Stadium in workout.
71. Patrick Phillips, SS, Redan HS (Stone Mountain, Ga.):
Brother of Brandon Phillips. Has power. Reminds me of Enos Cabell. Attended same high school as former Angels standout Wally Joyner.
103. Sean O'Sullivan, RHP, Valhalla HS (El Cajon, Calif.):
Rated in top three in country in January. Good pitcher, mature with good stuff. Knows what he's doing. Fastball 90-94 mph.
133. Brian Matusz, LHP, St. Mary's HS (Cave Creek, Ariz.):
Touched 92 mph with big-time curve ball comparable to Barry Zito's.
163. Thomas Mendoza, RHP, Mons. Edward Pace HS (Hialeah, Fla.):
Big arm with plus fastball. Needs to work on command. Lucky to get him.
193. Jerome Moore, OF, N. Caddo HS (Vivian, La.):
Outstanding athlete, four-sport guy who could play Div. 1 football.
223. Robert Romero, RHP, Grayson County College (Frisco, Texas):
Big fastball, three-quarters delivery who needs work but has a good arm; touched 96 mph.
253. Matthew Hall, INF, Horizon HS (Scottsdale, Ariz.):
A gamer, went to same high school as Brandon Wood. Might move to third.
283. Robert Mosebach, RHP, Hillsborough CC (W. Palm Beach, Fla.):
Good pitcher with above-average fastball.
313. Peter Bourjos, OF, Notre Dame HS (Scottsdale, Ariz.):
A toolsy outfielder who was the fastest guy in our workout; Dad is former player Triple-A player who works for Brewers as Major League scout.
343. Timothy Murphy, OF, Rancho Buena Vista HS (Vista, Calif.):
Good athlete with power who can hit 90 mph as pitcher. Could be headed to UCLA.
373. Gregory Dini, C, Tulane Univ.: Accomplished catcher with experience at handling top staff.
403. Bryce Cox, RHP, Rice:
A reliever who can hit 96 mph with fastball and plus movement; struggles with command.
433. Stephen Brock, RHP, Chipola CC (Buford, Fla.):
Draft and follow; will watch over summer.
463. Bradley Coon, OF, Trevecca Nazarene Univ. (Willowick, Ohio):
Fast outfielder, steals bases; projects as leadoff hitter.
493. Darrell Sales, INF, West Valley College (Santa Clara, Calif.):
Good looking hitter, bat is best tool.
523. Ryan Pressley, INF, Evans HS (Martinez, Ga.):
Nicknamed "The Beast." Crude high school player with huge power; needs to improve contract.
553. James West, RHP, Chandler-Gilbert CC (Ft. Mahavie, Ariz.):
Good arm, needs work on breaking stuff and command.
583. John Sullivan, RHP, St. John's:
Tough background, pitched well at regionals. You want to root for this guy.
613. Martinez Allen, OF, No. Florida CC (Dunnellon, Fla.): Good runner; draft and follow.
643. Bradley Suttle, 3B, Boerne HS (Boerne, Texas): Pitcher and infielder with scholarship to UT.
673. Christopher Nash, 1B, Marquette HS (Chesterfield, Mo.): Good looking hitter; draft and follow.
703. Deunte Heath, RHP, Lake City CC (Decatur, Fla.): Turned down big money from Tampa Bay; we'll watch him this summer; can hit 97 mph.
733. Dallas Morris, 3B, U. Louisiana-Lafayette (Opelousas, La.): Senior bat, corner infielder can play either first or third.
763. Brok Butcher, RHP, Oxnard CC (Camarillo, Calif.): Draft and follow.
793. Kevin Lynch, RHP, Florida State: Pitching well in Super Regional.
823. Colby Overstreet, 1B, Oklahoma City Univ. (Midland, Okla.): Power hitter but played in hitter's park.
853. Blair Brejtfus, RHP, Arcadia HS (Phoenix): Had Tommy John surgery; we'll watch over summer.
883. Vincent Scarduzio, 1B, Broward CC (Jupiter, Fla.): Draft and follow.
913. Neil Medchill, C, Lake Orion Comm. HS (Oxford, Miss.): Draft and follow; will play JC ball in Arizona.
943. Timothy Didjurgis, RHP, Regis Univ. (Tucson, Ariz.) Draft and follow.
973. Braden Wells, OF, Dixie State Univ. (Glendale, Utah): Draft and follow.
1003. Marco Albano, SS, Boston College: Great makeup; second generation player who excelled at BC.
1033. Brian Schlitter, RHP, Lake City CC (Park Ridge, Fla.): Draft and follow
1063. Christopher Davis, 3B, Navarro CC (Corsicana, Texas): Duel chances also throws hard on mound; draft and follow.
1093. Jacob Dixon, RHP, Univ. of No. Florida (Oneida, Fla.): Decent arm; will pitch in Orem.
1123. Jeremy Haynes, RHP, Tallahassee CC (Madison, Fla.): Draft and follow.
1153. Flint Wipke, C, Georgia Southern: Senior, decent glove.
1182. Brent Milleville, C, Maize HS (Wichita, Kan.): Huge bat and catches well; really high price tag with scholarship to Stanford; we'll watch this summer.
1211. Rian Kiniry, OF, Chaminade-Madonna HS (Davie, Fla.): Draft and follow.
1240. Joseph Klein, RHP, Patuxent HS (St. Leonard, Md.): Draft and follow.
1269. Carlos Del Rosario, OF, George Washington HS (New York): Will play JC ball in Florida; we'll watch this summer.
1298. Brent Solich, LHP, Manatee CC (Bradenton, Fla.): Draft and follow.
1327. Michael Bunton, LHP, Tallahassee CC (Tallahassee, Fla.): Draft and follow.
1356. Shay Conder, C, American Fork HS (Lindon, Utah): Draft and follow.
1385. Julian Laurean, 2B, Chandler-Gilbert CC (Chandler, Ariz.): Draft and follow.
1414. Seth Loman, 1B, Lamar CC (Lamar, Colo.): Draft and follow.
1442. Cody Fuller, OF, Texas Tech: Good athlete, played football; will play at Orem.
1469. Anthony Vasquez, OF, Ronald Reagan HS (San Antonio, Texas): Father is Rudy Vazquez, scholarship to Texas A&M, summer follow.
1496. Gerald Posey, RHP, Lee County HS (Leesburg, Ga.): Rated high going into season, did not have good year; threw hard last summer.