Phillies announce additional spring training non-roster invitees
The Phillies have signed the following three players to minor league contracts with invitations to attend major league spring training as non-roster invitees:
- Chris McGuiness, 1B - McGuiness played in 126 games for triple-A Indianapolis in 2014, batting .264 with 31 doubles, nine home runs and 54 RBI. His 63 walks ranked 6th among all players in the International League. In 2012, McGuiness participated in the Arizona Fall League and was named the league's Most Valuable Player after batting .288 with four home runs and a league-best 27 RBI in 25 games. Overall, McGuiness has appeared in 580 career minor league games, accumulating a .259 average with 136 doubles, 71 homers, 329 RBI and 347 walks. He also had a brief stint in the majors in 2013 with the Texas Rangers, during which he batted .176 in 10 games. The Charleston, S.C., native was originally selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 13th round of the June 2009 draft from The Citadel (S.C.).
- Sean O'Sullivan, RHP - O'Sullivan, 27, spent the majority of last season with triple-A Lehigh Valley, going 6-10 with a 4.30 ERA in 25 starts. He also appeared in three games with Philadelphia, including two starts, where he went 0-1 with a 6.39 ERA in 12.2 innings. The San Diego, Calif., native has pitched in 53 career major league games (39 starts) between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (2009-10), Kansas City Royals (2010-11), San Diego Padres (2013) and Phillies (2014), going 10-17 with a 5.91 ERA in 231.2 innings. Additionally, in 189 career minor league games (173 starts), O'Sullivan is 78-50 with a 3.97 ERA in 1041.1 innings. He was originally selected by the Angels in the third round of the June 2005 draft and is the brother of current Phillies minor leaguer, Ryan O'Sullivan.
- Kevin Slowey, RHP - In 2014, the 30-year-old Slowey posted a 5.30 ERA in 17 games (2 starts) for the Miami Marlins before being designated for assignment in June. From 2008-10, Slowey collected 35 wins over 73 starts for the Minnesota Twins before missing the majority of the 2011 and 2012 seasons due to injury. In 137 career major league games (106 starts) between the Twins and Marlins, the 6-foot-3, 205 pound righty has gone 43-36 with a 4.62 ERA in 662.0 innings. He has also compiled a 2.45 ERA over 82 career minor league games (74 starts). Slowey, who graduated from Upper St. Clair High School in Pittsburgh, P.A., was originally taken by the Twins in the 2nd round of the June 2005 draft out of Winthrop University (S.C.).
To date, the Phillies have invited a total of 16 players to major league spring training in 2015 as non-roster invitees:
- Pitchers (3): Paul Clemens, Sean O'Sullivan, Kevin Slowey
- Catchers (3): Rene Garcia, John Hester, Koyie Hill
- Infielders (6): Andres Blanco, Russ Canzler, Chase d'Arnaud, Chris McGuiness, Chris Nelson, Cord Phelps
- Outfielders (4): Brian Bogusevic, Jeff Francoeur, Darin Mastroianni, Xavier Paul