Active of late, Giants pondering next offseason move
World champs fill third-base void with McGehee, have engaged in talks with Shields
By Adam Berry
After sitting back and watching other teams swoop in on their free-agent targets earlier this offseason, the Giants have moved decisively in recent days. They answered their third-base question with Casey McGehee and will soon formally announce that they've re-signed starter Jake Peavy and reliever Sergio Romo.
So, what's next for San Francisco?
"I think we're going to take the next day or two to assess what we have left both to spend and how we can best execute the next move," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said Saturday during a conference call to announce the McGehee trade.
Sabean said the Giants have spoken with right-hander James Shields, a potential upgrade for their rotation. They have not engaged in any discussions with right-hander Max Scherzer, however, and don't have any plans to do so.
The Giants didn't place a bid for Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang, either.
The Giants could also use another left fielder, either as an everyday option or a platoon partner with Gregor Blanco, but Sabean didn't seem impressed with the free-agent options available at that position.
Before doing anything else, Sabean said, he will have to talk with team president and CEO Larry Baer to find out how much room the Giants have left in their offseason budget. Those funds could go toward a left fielder or perhaps another starter.
"We've got some limited financial flexibility still left. We have to decide how best to utilize that," Sabean said. "We are engaged in conversations as we speak that may or may not get curtailed, or we can move on to other things."
Adam Berry is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @adamdberry. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.