ST. PETERSBURG -- Rays infielder Sean Rodriguez is OK despite getting stung by a stingray earlier this week.
Rodriguez had been playing with his 2-year-old daughter, Sofia, on the beach near his Redington Beach, Fla., rental condo on Monday morning and decided to wade a couple of feet into the water. All the way, he was careful to shuffle his feet, which is the proper way to avoid stingrays, but he made the mistake of lifting his foot on one step, and at that point, the 25-year-old infielder saw something flash by and felt something graze his right heel.
Af first, Rodriguez thought he was looking at a catfish until it grazed him and he stepped out of the water.
"That's when I was like, 'Uh-oh,'" Rodriguez said.
Blood began to shoot from where Rodriguez got stung. Luckily, he wasn't alone. Teammate Jason Bartlett and his son, Jaden, 1, were on hand to offer assistance.
"There was a lot of blood," Bartlett said. "It got to a point where we were worried about how much blood he was losing."
Bartlett called 911, and when the paramedics arrived, they confirmed it had been a stingray.
"Since we didn't know much about [getting stung], we were kind of panicking about whether there was poison in them," Bartlett said.
The paramedics told Rodriguez to put the wound in hot water and to treat it like a cut. Rodriguez said he felt fine following the incident, though he still has discoloration and swelling in the area of the sting.
Rodriguez was able to play Tuesday night, replacing the ejected Carl Crawford.
Bill Chastain is a reporter for MLB.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.